Friday, July 31, 2009

Finding time...

The biggest problem I'm having with training is time. There just isn't enough time for everything everyday. The training itself isn't that bad because I'm doing the run/walk program. I'm not in bad shape, I'm also not pushing myself too hard- after this marathon I still have 4 kids to take care of so I don't care how long it takes to run/walk this as long as I finish in one piece! I'm up to 7 miles for a long run/ walk and I'm doing a 15 minute mile. I've been consistently keeping that pace since I started training in June. I'm pretty impressed with that time since I'm just a beginner. On the "off" days I've been doing wii fit with my kids. I work out for an hour or 2 and it's a family activity that they LOVE. It sounds like it's not a work out but it is and if you put yourself into it you really sweat it up. My favorite is the step and super step. It is so funny to watch the "mii's" work out with you! I've also been swimming and walking on "off" days- always with my kids.

On the run days I have to figure out how to pry myself out of this house. There's no great time to leave a house with 4 kids! There's no "off" time that works for everyone. I've been running at 5 or 6 in the evening. I cook dinner and simultaneously bathe and pajama the kids, eat then clean up a little then out the door. The kids and Anthony finish the clean up and then they ride bikes or play until I get back- yes in their pj's. I love running at this time in the evening. The sun is setting- it's beautiful to watch from my journey around Glen Cove. I don't have an I-Pod and I don't want me- I like to think while I'm running and walking. It's the only time my thoughts are uninterrupted. I've only been street running, since that's where the marathon is I need to know I can do it. Even thought I'm drenched in sweat when I'm done I feel fresher than when I started. Running definitely burns some of my NF anxiety away. I take a quick shower when I get home. Then I'm ready for reading and tuck-ins. It's not easy and truthfully I won't be making running a regular part of my life. I hate missing things with the kids and when you have 4 kids it's impossible to be everything to everyone every minute anyway forget about if your trying to do something like this. It's just too hard to fit running into my life at least 4 times a week. The mornings are rough because Anthony leaves at 5:30- that's just too early, I'd have to run at 4a.m.- no way! My days are filled with dropping of and picking up kids, Dr. appt's, library trips and my daily trek to at least 2 places to try to get a raffle donation or a business sponsor for whatever fund raiser I have coming up- it's endless. It's really been tough fitting in the miles, especially as they add on and take up more time.

I'm not sure how I'll keep it up when school starts, but like NF I'll take it one day at a time, I'll live only the day I'm in and I'll change things up as they come up. When I cross the finish line it will be worth it, all the adjusting and juggling the schedules around. I hate wishing away days or time- but I am looking forward to November 2nd- the day after the marathon!!!

1 comment:

  1. i'm thinking about doing the indy mini...and other ways to maybe raise some money...you have inspired me...i haven't run at all since abigail was born...

    ReplyDelete